Should you experience technical difficulties with any of our software products, please read this page first. If you cannot find what you are looking for and need further assistance please send an email, with a description of the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details:
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows 10 – with build number if known, macOS 10.14 – Mojave).
- A photo or scan of the back of the CD case if your software was supplied on disks.
- The software version number. For most software supplied on disks this can be found on the disks and printed on the back of the CD case.
- Your serial number. For downloadable software, the serial number will have been emailed to the person who made the purchase or can be found in your online account by logging in at the top of this page (if you have added the product to your account). For software supplied on disk, the serial number can either be found printed in a white rectangle on the back of the CD case, directly on the disks (with some products) or on a label inside the case.
- The product code. For downloadable software, this begins with “DL”. For software supplied on disks, this begins with “JL” and can be found printed under the barcode on the back of the CD case.
- Any error messages that you may be getting.
N.B. Please note that this page contains links to websites that are not maintained by Jolly Learning Ltd. You acknowledge and accept that by clicking on any of these links Jolly Learning Ltd is not responsible for any loss of data that may occur to your system as a result and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have a backup.
The software licence can be found at the back of the manual.
Try our handy guide for using Jolly Phonics for the Whiteboard:
Jolly Phonics For The Whiteboard Version 4 System Requirements
• Microsoft® Windows 10, Windows Server 2008
• 2.33Ghz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® AtomTM 1.6Ghz or faster processor for notebook class devices
• OS X®/macOS® 10.10 – 10.15
• Intel CoreTM Duo 1.83Ghz or faster processor
For both Mac and Windows:
• A minimum 512MB of RAM
• You must have Administrator/Privileged Access Rights to install this software
• An Internet connection is required for installation and activation.
Network deployment guide for IT admins This is applicable for Jolly Phonics for the Whiteboard version 3 and Jolly Phonics Games CD version 4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W1CZ_WqLV9FeQh5uRKiyG-PlymRFd2hyMIi6kdBT8WE/edit?usp=sharing
Jolly Phonics For The Whiteboard Version 3 System Requirements
PC: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 (prior to build 1803). User with Administrator/Privileged Access Rights for installation, 550MB free hard-disk space, Intel PIII 1GHz or equivalent , 256MB RAM, SVGA graphics (800 x 600 at 16-bit), CD-ROM drive, sound card.
Mac: (Intel-based) OSX 10.4 – 10.13, 550MB free hard-disk space for typical install, 256MB RAM, SVGA graphics (800 x 600 at 16-bit), CD-ROM drive, sound card.
NB: macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) is the last macOS that version 3 is supported on. Version 3 customers can upgrade to version 4. Current High Sierra users may notice a popup message stating that the app is not optimized for your Mac. You can safely click OK to ignore this message and continue using the software.
Note for Apple users with Mac OS X 10.7 through to macOS 10.13
Please download and launch the free Mac update tool to avoid having to re-enter the serial number on every launch of the software and for access to every letter group.
Try our handy guide for using Jolly Phonics for the Whiteboard:
To identify your version:
If your CD case has a serial number printed in a white rectangle on the back you have version 2 or version 3. The version number will be printed in the small print underneath this adn also on the disks. Version 1 does not have a serial number or version number but the copyright information on the back of the CD case will read ‘© Jolly Learning Ltd 2009’. Version 2 was released in 2010. Version 3 was released in 2011. Version 4 was released in 2019 and is only available digitally – it is not available on CD. If you are unsure which version you have please contact us first.
You must send this information with any returns in order for us to process it accurately.
School name (where applicable):
School or delivery address (not PO Box):
Please ensure you include this information when returning your product and obtain proof of postage from your postal service.
For the UK editions (ref. JL954 & JL865) please send the complete product with the required information to this address:
Jolly Learning Ltd Tailours House High Road Chigwell Essex IG7 6DL U.K.
For North American editions (ref. JL873 & JL962) please send the complete product with the required information to this address:
AIDC 82 Winter Sport Lane Williston VT05495 USA
Tel: 1 800 488 2665 Fax: 802 864 7626 Email: email@example.com
The Jolly Phonics Games CD (single and site licences) has now been withdrawn from sale. Regrettably, this means that we are no longer able to provide technical support for this resource.
Should you experience any technical difficulties with the Jolly Phonics Letter Sounds App, please read this page first.
There is an information page built into the app where you can get help using the app. You can also switch between British and American audio and precursive or print letter font. To get to the information page keep pressing the button in the top left-hand corner till it shows the blue i button. Press this and you will then see the information page. You can then scroll through the text on the board.
How to reset the app The app can be easily reset from the information page. Just follow the steps below:
1) Keep touching the buttons in the top left-hand corner of the screen until you get to the information page.
2) Touch the Trash Can, which is poking out from behind the big sign.
3) Complete the mathematical sum by dragging the correct answer to the empty box.
4) Touch the green tick button to confirm.
5) The app is now reset and you will be taken back to the information page.
6) Touch the button in the top left-hand corner of the screen to create a new profile.
How to edit user flower pots (unlock letter sound groups and delete)
There is a “secret” button, which can be accessed from the information page (please see the steps above to get to the information page) by touching the top right-hand corner of the screen 10 times! From this screen you are able to “cheat” and set a profile to have completed letter sound groups by touching the flower buds to open them on a plant pot profile. You can also change the profile picture for each plant pot from here.
How to enable Jolly Phonics Letter Sounds App in Child mode on certain Kurio Android devices (e.g. Kurio Tab2) You need to make sure that the child account is signed into the same Google Play store account that the parent used to download the game.
1) Sign into the parents account and tap the Google play store.
2) Create a Google Play store account or enter an existing one.
3) Download the Jolly Phonics Letter Sounds app.
4) Now, come out of the Google Play store and tap the ‘Kurio Genius’ icon on the home screen.
5) Go to ‘App management’ and make sure that your app is authorised so the child account can see it on their profile.
6) Switch over to the child account.
7) Locate the Google Play store icon and sign into the same account you used to download the app on the parent account.
8) Once signed in, come of the Google Play store and locate your app (it will probably be located in ‘all apps’ on the top right of the child home screen).
Multiple User Issue on Android devices
If you are having problems using the app with multiple user accounts on the same device, then please click the following link. You may also see an error message that begins “Some required assets for the Letter Sounds App are missing.”
Error 911 on Android devices
Unfortunately error 911 seems to be a fairly common Android issue associated with larger downloads. For our app the error is likely occurring due to a problem in the download of the OBB file that has assets required for the app to function correctly. Please try the steps below to see if the problem can be resolved:
1. Your device should have a file management app such as “My Files”. Launch this app and look for a folder “Android/obb”. This folder may be on your device’s internal memory or on your SDCARD or in both locations.
2. Check to see if the obb folder has a folder named “com.jollylearning.jollyphonicslettersounds”
3. If the folder is present, navigate inside this folder and check for the presence of a file “main.1.com.jollylearning.jollyphonicslettersounds.obb” of size 30,83,42,101 bytes (~308.3MB).
4. If multiple files with this name (with a “temp” or numeric prefix) are present then please check if any of the files matches the required file size mentioned above. If any of the obb files matches the size, delete all other versions of the OBB and rename the file with correct size to main.1.com.jollylearning.jollyphonicslettersounds.obb
5. If in step 4 none of the obb files match the correct size, then delete all these versions and subsequently reinstall the app from the app store on a wifi connection.
You may also wish to review the website below:
The App is missing or does not download on iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches
This seems to be a bug in iOS 8 causing apps to go missing. Please try the following solution:
Open the Settings app on your device. Touch ‘General’, then ‘Usage’, then ‘Manage Storage’. Find the ‘Letter Sounds’ app that is missing and select it. If it says the app is null, touch ‘Delete App’, then login to the app store and re-download it.
Taking pictures crashes the app on iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches
This issue affects iOS 8 and is fixed in version 1.0.4. Please ensure you have updated the app. The camera should operate correctly on iOS 6 and 7.
You can also try the following:
Access the settings app and scroll down on the left-hand side and touch ‘Jolly Phonics Letter Sounds’. There should be an option to allow the app to access your device’s camera. Once you accept the app should operate correctly.
Sound issues on iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches If you do not hear any sound coming from the app please check your device first and whether you have sound in any other apps. The problem is most likely due to the mute switch functionality settings. iOS devices have a slide switch near the the volume up and down buttons that can be set to behave as a mute button or for locking the screen rotation. Please check these settings and also ensure the volume is turned up. A simple test is to plug in some headphones and test the volume. Please also check for any app updates from your device. Version 1.0.3 provides an option to override the device sound settings.
This link describes how to configure the side switch in iOS 7/8:
This website may be helpful:
Please also see this link and consider resetting your device as a last resort as explained. Please ensure you have a backup of your data (via iTunes) prior to resetting or updating your device:
Ladybird bonus game issue If you are unable to complete the game due to ladybirds not reappearing on the screen please ensure you have updated the app. This issue was fixed in version 1.0.1.
In the meantime if you wish to progress to the next letter sounds group without the update, you can wait approximately 2-3 minutes for the ladybirds to appear on the screen. Once you are done matching the letter sounds you can skip this game, and proceed to the next letter sound.
If this page does not solve your issue and you need further assistance, then please send an email with the description of the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following details:
• your name and contact details. • your device, model and iOS/Android version. On Apple devices this information can be found in the Settings app by selecting ‘General’, then ‘About’. On Android devices, go to the Settings app and scroll down to select the ‘About’ option.
For general enquires about the app please send an email to email@example.com.
For users who have no sound please ensure you have updated to the latest version of the app first.
Apple users with no sound
Due to the number of people reporting that there is no sound in this app we have produced a guide showing how to change the settings on your iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad. Please click the link below:
If you have the latest version, please try plugging some headphones into your device and turning up the volume to test if you have sound through them as there can be different audio behaviours and settings for headphones as opposed to your device’s speakers.
You should also check the more obvious causes like the mute button and volume controls on your device.
This next step is written for iPad users but may also be applicable to iPhone and iPod Touch…
Please ensure that the ‘ringer’ on your iPad is turned on. There are some apps that require this and some that do not and it can depend on the function of the app in question and how it uses audio. To check your ringer sound settings on your iPad, please follow the instructions on this website:
You may also find you need to change the behaviour of the mute switch on the right edge of your iPad. Please see this link:
Another helpful link:
The links below only apply to version 1.0 and have since been fixed in later versions.